Saturday, April 6, 2013

D Day... er, R Day...?

So Sunday (2/17) we did the Lupron trigger shot at 9:15pm.  It went really well.  Brandon is absolutely incredible at giving shots.  He did a really awesome job throughout this entire experience.  I am so lucky to have him in my life.  I did have a weird reaction to the shot, but I text Jordan and she said that was normal.  On Monday (2/18), I had an appointment to make sure the the trigger shot worked.  It did :)  The fact that the trigger shot worked meant that Tuesday, February 19th, thirty-six hours after the trigger shot was done, at 9:15am I would have my egg retrieval.  Even though I work at SGFC and I am there every day of the business week and on so many weekends and I pass through the PACU (Post-Anesthesia Care Unit) on an almost daily basis, I had absolutely NO idea what to expect.

I was told to arrive for my procedure at 7:45 in the morning.  Once we checked in, Karen (one of my absolute favorite people in the world) came to the waiting room to take us back to the PACU.  Once back there, they checked my ID and I signed some consents and I had to put on probably one of the least flattering hospital gowns ever.  Brandon and I just hung out in the bay and waited.  One of the pharmaceutical reps had brought breakfast and while I couldn't eat, Brandon could, so Monica brought him up a bagel with cream cheese.  I was very appreciative of the VIP treatment.  Prior to my retrieval, I had several visitors which made me feel really comfortable and relaxed.  Dr. O'Brien came to check-in with me prior to the retrieval and she was very encouraging. Given the fact the Dr. Levy and I are so close, I asked for Dr. O'Brien to do my procedures.  I mean, she had already done my HSG and my mock ET/saline sonogram - I figured it would be best for her to just do all my procedures.  You know, keep the number of people literally all up in my business to a minimum.

Finally the time had come.  Karen came to the bay to get me.  I went into the OR and I got to say - I don't really remember much after that.  I mean, I went into the room, an embryologist came in and confirmed my name and my social security number.  I sat down on the table and I had to skooch to the end of it (and it was much like the HSG when I thought I was going to fall on the floor).  I remember Steve (my favorite anesthesiologist) telling me it was all going to be ok and I remember my legs going into the stirrups and that's it.  Apparently, I was then prepped for the egg retrieval and my eggs retrieved.  This is done by inserting a sonogram wand with a needle attached to it through the va-ja and into the follicles to retrieve the eggs.  How friggin cool is that. Next thing I remembered, Sherry, one of the PACU nurses, was waking me up.  As for my eggs, they were taken to the embryology lab to be inseminated via ICSI and put in the petri dishes to grow.

While in recovery, I had plenty of visitors and I have to say, I felt plenty of love.  In fact, Jessica B. (one of Dr. Chang's nurses) and Elizabeth (our ArtWorks program specialist) came up to see me and brought me flowers and a card from the primary nursing team.  Monica brought me one of those brownie batter donuts from Dunkin Donuts for after my retrieval.  Dr. Levy came to see me and let me know that they retrieved thirteen eggs, ten of which were mature, which is quite impressive :)  Sherry came back by and I had to take a lap around the PACU to make sure that I was ok to walk around.  I was a champ.

When we got home, Brandon and I had pizza and I took a nap.  I woke up and was ready to go to work.  I text Jordan and I checked up on our patients.  She told me to go back to sleep.  What a buzz kill!  I listened though - I watched a little more TV and fell asleep again.   Before leaving work, Jessica B. sent me a text with a picture of my chart and I was so excited to get a sneak peak before getting into work tomorrow.
seeing the number of mature eggs made me smile :)
It's funny - even after all the monitoring, all the blood work and ultrasounds, all the shots and even the egg retrieval - this whole process still does not even feel real.  I said that to Brandon completely expecting him to look at me like I was insane, but he agreed.  I guess I am not the only one who feels like this has been a dream... a very weird dream.